When will I be able to recommence primary research (such as fieldwork, observations and interviews)?

Guidance for PGR students on conducting primary research during the coronavirus pandemic.

We have restricted all mobility/travel for PGR students, in line with Government guidance.  However, as the travel restrictions lift, the University will do what it can to support PGR mobility on University business in the UK, EU, and internationally including that for primary research/fieldwork, placements and conferences. We will consider the restrictions to mobility and your mobility need as a PGR student, in line with those of staff. 

We recognise that it may be essential for you to undertake your PGR studies in line with your original project strategy and that mobility is essential. However, the University also has a duty of care and responsibility for ensuring your safety and welfare.  Therefore, even when restrictions begin to lift, the process for approving PGR mobility will require a thorough approach to assessing the risks which will include the requirement for you to demonstrate an awareness of the risks and the provision of additional support from the Insurance Office to ensure the potential risks of the outside study, and the legal and insurance implications, are understood.  If you need to seek approval for UK or International mobility, you should submit an outside study application, which is available for completion in ePortfolio.  Your application for outside study should be accompanied by a comprehensive Risk Assessment and will be considered by the Dean of Postgraduate Studies.

If it is not possible for you to undertake a period of mobility that is essential for the project, this may mean that the project may need to be revised.

UK Mobility

Fieldwork may recommence where it will take place within England* in accordance with the latest government guidance.    See https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing which states that it will remain prohibited in law for people to visit friends and family inside their homes or spend time indoors with anyone you do not live with - subject to limited exceptions, for example, for work, emergency assistance or caring for the vulnerable. You should also refer to the University’s Health and Safety Management Standard for Fieldwork.

For further information or advice please contact your Supervisor in the first instance.

For any travel in the UK, you should consult the relevant government guidance:

EU and International Mobility

If you are considering travel in the EU or Internationally, the public health guidance of both the UK and the country of travel will be considered. However, we will at all times be guided by the advice of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. If the FCO does not state that it is safe to travel to a particular destination, it may not be possible for the University to provide sufficient or any insurance for you. There may be occasions where we deem the travel to be safe outside the scope of our travel insurance cover. In such circumstances, the situation would be reviewed on a case by case basis.