I am a new EU/EEA/Swiss student living in England and have pre-settled status through the EU Settlement Scheme, do I qualify for home fees and Student Loans?

The Student Loans Company (SLC) will accept your pre-settled status as evidence that you are covered by the Withdrawal Agreement and are eligible for student support, subject to the usual residency rules. You must have lived in the UK, Gibraltar, EEA or Switzerland for the three years immediately before the start of your course.

You will need to give the Student Loans Company evidence of your status by providing your digital share code and proof of your identity. This could be an original valid passport or valid national identity card.

You may also qualify for maintenance support if you are currently working in the UK. If so, you will need to provide the SLC with financial evidence to confirm you are working such as a P60 or a letter from your employer.

For more details about access to student finance as a EU/EEA/Swiss student, please visit the Department for Education’s blog Q&A


Last reviewed: 14.01.2022