What happens if I’m unable to quarantine in my private accommodation?

Guidance for students self-isolating in private accommodation.

There is limited university accommodation available for students in private accommodation who are not able to quarantine/self-isolate there. This is not available for everyone and students will be assessed on eligibility.  Please contact our accommodation services (allocation-enquiries@newcastle.ac.uk) to discuss this with them.

Report : tell us that you are self-isolating through the Covid-19 reporting form, so that we can support you.

Covid support: If you have a Covid-19 related enquiry, you can contact us by email covidsupport@ncl.ac.uk or the Covid Enquiry Line on 0191 222 5101 (open 10am-2pm, Monday-Friday).

Urgent help: If you have an urgent need that cannot wait until the next working day you should call Security on 0191 208 6817 (available 24/7).