Who can I ask for help if I have a question about my studies?

Find out who you should contact to access advice and support.

If you have a question about your studies, your first point of contact will usually be your personal tutor who is equipped to provide academic support – or, if you are a postgraduate research student, your supervisor(s).

However, there are also other contacts within your School who may be more appropriate to provide advice and support.

Personal Tutors- Personal tutors will be your first point of contact if you have any personal difficulties, whether that be illness or other circumstances that may affect your ability to attend University or complete your academic work.

Every student has a personal tutor, who is usually a member of academic staff and is responsible for supporting you throughout your time at the University. This includes advice on ways of getting the most from your student experience.

Your personal tutor is available to discuss academic matters such as module choices or your overall progress. They will also be able to recommend others who can support you, including module leaders and senior tutors, and central services in the University or Students’ Union.

While they are not trained counsellors, personal tutors will do their best to suggest where you might seek any help you need.

If you have difficulty getting in touch with your personal tutor, or any of the other staff on this page, contact your School Office for help.

Senior Tutor- Senior tutors act as a second point of contact for you in the absence of your personal tutor. They can also be contacted if you have queries about the personal tutor system or in the event of complicated issues or personal issues that are affecting your University experience.

Senior tutors have overall responsibility for pastoral care in your School, and for the management of extensions and other adjustments through Personal Extenuating Circumstances (PEC).

Module Leader- Module leaders can help with queries relating to specific academic work on a module you are taking. They will also be able to provide you with feedback on your work as well as help you plan ahead by providing information about assessments, and will also do this at the start of their module. All academic members of staff have office hours for face-to-face queries or can be contacted by email.

Degree Programme Director (DPD)- DPDs have overall responsibility for the structure, content and academic standards on your degree programme. They are your contact if you wish to transfer course, withdraw or suspend your studies.

Supervisor- If you are a Postgraduate Research Student, it is likely that you are already in regular contact with your supervisor, or supervisors, and these are also your first point of contact for wider support.

If you have difficulty getting in touch with your supervisor(s), direct any student enquiries to your Graduate School Office: