What should I do if I am a student on work placement?

Find advice and guidance for students on work placements

If you are continuing to work on placement, either from home or on site, please inform your University placement contact (see Who Manages my Placement Year if unsure). Please continue to follow government and your employer’s guidance around safe working practices from home or on site.

We will need to speak to your Placement Supervisor if you are continuing to work on site and your role has changed in any way. We need to ensure that your health and safety continues to be prioritised during your university work experience. 

If your placement has been terminated or is terminated at any time by your employer, please inform your University placement contact immediately.

If you wish to return home to continue working, please speak with your Line Manager on placement and explain the University guidelines regarding working from home. They may be able to arrange for you to work remotely but if not, contact your University placement contact for advice.

Whatever your situation, if you have been, or will be, unable to complete your minimum hours requirement as a result of changes to your placement contract, we will be putting measures in place to waive the hours required for your placement module (as and when necessary) from 17 March 2020 until the end of the academic year. We are currently working on the assessment format for the modules and your module tutor will be in touch with more information.

If you are an international student and are continuing with your placement in the UK, either at home or on site, please continue to respond to attendance monitoring emails from your University placement contact, notifying them of any annual leave or sickness. We will also continue to email your Placement Supervisor regarding your attendance on placement.

If you fall ill while continuing to work on placement, whether from home or on site, please notify the university in the usual way via a Student Notification of Absence Form on S3P. Newcastle University London students should complete an absence request form at https://forms.ncl.ac.uk/view.php?id=5506844

If you are worried about finances after your placement was terminated, please contact our financial support team via their webpage.