The Government guidance provides specific advice on travel for students who are required to return to campus (see page 15 of the guidance). Students are advised to travel by private vehicles wherever possible and to avoid car sharing with anyone outside their household or support bubble. If students are unable to travel by private vehicles, travel by public transport is permitted but students should follow the Government’s safer travel guidance for passengers.
To help reduce the spread of Covid-19 when travelling you should:
- wear a face covering unless exempt
- keep your distance from people from other households when you travel, where possible
- wash or sanitise your hands regularly
- avoid the busiest routes, as well as busy times like the rush hour
- download the NHS COVID-19 app before you travel, if possible and check in where you see official NHS COVID-19 QR code posters
To protect both the University and local communities, students who are returning are expected to take two Lateral Flow Device (LFD) tests on their return.
You should book your first test for as soon as possible following your arrival in Newcastle and arrange a second test 3 days later. Between the two tests you should minimise social contact and you should not access University facilities until you have received two negative test results.
Please book your tests via this link.